14 September 2006

Bete Noir

Roads Minister Stephen Ladyman (pictured) continues to disgrace himself. Previously I had blogged on his blocking of sensible EU-wide road safety legislation much to the chagrin of other EU partners. He vetoed speed limiters and reduction of alcohol limits. He can hardly claim that Labour has a great track record doing things their way. Of the EU member states, only Belgium had a smaller percentage reduction in car deaths than the UK between 2001 and 2004. Ladyman also failed to respond to a letter I sent to him on this matter. I presumed it might have been due to a change of heart that he had not replied. No such luck.

As reported today the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) recommend cutting the alcohol limit for drivers under 25 to reduce accidents(reducing the legal limit from 80 to 50 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood for motorists aged 17 to 25). Stephen Ladyman indicated that his stance had not changed. WHY NOT?

In a related development he is supporting attacks on bike use. Who is this fool working for? Stephen Ladyman - you are my official bete noir - I'm watching you. Hat-tip James Cleverly

Next post - how to reduce car crime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cheers PT.

I'll add you to my list.