29 November 2006

Introducing Police Bloggers

If you’ve not been living in a cave, you will be aware of the noises the British political elites have been making, aimed in the direction of bloggers. Happily tapping on my keyboard here in Prague, I feel as if I am well out of the firing range of the British government, but there are groups of bloggers who our authoritarian government really do appear to have in their sights. I’m talking in particular about public sector bloggers and especially police bloggers. If you think I’m exaggerating, take a look at this. Anyone who reads this blog will be aware law and order is a key interest of mine – it’s certainly of paramount importance to the electorate.

So I’ve decided to clear a section of my links bar for Police Bloggers. Unlike my other links sections which I have arranged in alphabetical order, I’ve decided to order these blogs in order of preference. Here’s my first top 5 with their own description in italics and my synopsis underneath.

1. Copper’s Blog

A Journey into the mad, mad world of the British underclass and the Public sector, where nothing is too insane for it to be written down and copied in triplicate. VIEWS EXPRESSED PROBABLY DON'T REFLECT OFFICIAL POLICY. "This blog will do more to put people off calling the police than anything, other than actually calling the police."

A proper blogger. Similar number of comments on his posts as Iain Dale. Your first stop for what’s really happening in the British police service.

2. Police Inspector Blog

You couldn’t make this up.

Classy. Well written and regular posts with a helicopter view. Also, links across the public services. A great resource.

3. PC South West

A Police officer who is being prevented from doing his job effectively by Political obstruction and home office bureaucracy. I hope to expose the shortfalls in the modern Police service that have been created by senior officers who have climbed into bed with the Politicians in order to further their own careers or future.

Doesn’t beat around the bush. Shining the light on the reality of modern day policing or lack of it.

4. Midlands PC

My ramblings on policing in the Midlands. Nothing herein is force policy blah blah blah. Although force policy changes so often, it might well be policy next week. Time to change our policies policy. Or something.

Posts are not that frequent, but tackle the topic in depth. Very interesting.

5. PC Bloggs

The police: upholding the law, protecting the weak and innocent, bringing the guilty to justice... or just a chaotic bunch of nincompoops? This blog makes no attempt to decide, but read on and maybe you can. The material in this blog in no way reflects official policy or opinion of any police force, it does however represent the official opinion of one very hacked off policewoman. Yes, I did say WOMAN.

Direct stuff. Opines on a range of subjects. More personal than some of the above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well – that’s my starter for ten. Please share your thoughts on these and other police bloggers.

Important Update

As if to prove my point about those in authority, PC South West is considering whether to hang up his keyboard because of political concerns. Please visit his blog and provide a bit of support.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tht inspector gadget blog is good.. but I must say that from a organisational perspective having employees rant on publicly about whats wrong is not good and I would have supported that opinion were it a private company... but as regards public services if somethings wrong people must know about it.. & ironically they cannot fire people because of this.. infact employment law dictates that you cannot get rid of whistle blowers.. bloody brilliant

Anonymous said...

And then there's the gnarley sarj at
http://policelockerroom.blogspot.com/ :-)

Praguetory said...

In the post-Enron world whistle-blowing arrangements in listed companies are standard practice and are rightly taken very seriously. If Sherron Watkins (Enron whistleblower) had had an opportunity to whistle blow to an independent board instead of Ken Lay things might have ended differently - I am not joking by the way.

Anonymous said...

Could you clarify youself when you things may have ended differently? Yet, I do have certain reservations against whistle blowers in privately held companies.. not in PLCs or State owned ones where people have a certain right to know.. but again, I must leave that discussion for another time..

Praguetory said...

First up, I agree with what you are saying re small companies.

This is at risk of going way OT, but primarily a well embedded "Code Of Ethics" signed by all employees backed up with a Whistleblowing Policy with direct e-mail address to an Independent Audit Committee would have had a strong deterrent effect against the palpable deceptions that took place at Enron. Whistleblower Sherron Watkins approached Ken Lay in August 2001 with concerns that equivocated to a smoking gun. In October 2001 Ken Lay was telling his employees at an all-staff meeting that they would get their 2001 bonus in full. If the Whistleblower concerns had been managed properly, it may have been possible to avoid the catastrophe, although I admit it would probably have still been a disaster.

PC Bloggs said...

Nice to get a mention!
Personally I don't consider myself a whistle-blower. Almost everything I rant and rave about is the fault of the Home Office and not my force.

Anonymous said...

Hello Praguetory,
I have been an avid reader of police blogs for some time, and though i do agree that the five you have chosen are far better than most. I personally find that PC Bloggs female view and whit (I know female and whit in the same sentance!) is a cut above the rest.

Keep up the good blog

Praguetory said...

(W)PC Bloggs I didn't intend to call you a Whistleblower - got distracted on a favourite topic of mine. To the reader, thanks for the endorsement - I did look at other police blogs in the process - I'll update the top 5 periodically, but feel free to leave me suggestions at any time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention also!
I am considering ending my blog as I am so obviously overshadowed by the quick whit and female appeal of PC Bloggs.
But seriously I am considering ending my current blog due to pressure of being hunted down like a dog and put to sleep by the viciousness of the dog with ginger eyebrows (one from my mate gadget).
The name of PC South West is in its self giving too much away and I am already known by some who work in my area. I will have to take a new identity with a more inconspicuous title. That is the sort of leverage the job gives.

Praguetory said...

Cheers for the handy terminology. I hope you keep going one way or t'other.

Anonymous said...

Do add this

Magistrate